Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Last Minute Cramming

Lighthouse of Benton Harbor and St. JosephImage via Wikipedia
In just 9 days I will be competing in the Steelhead Ironman 70.3 Triathlon in Benton Harbor, MI.  That's just 9 short days away.   And what do I need to be doing at this point?  Cramming for the final exam?

Not necessarily.  But that's the desire.

This is the first event in which I have used the services of a tri coach.  Up until now I have pulled plans from the Internet and adjusted to fit my needs, or rather... my likes.

I have understood the tapering period to be the week before the event.  That's when you cut back from mega miles to hardly miles.  This time around, my coach cut back the miles this week.  Next week, we're cutting back some more.

Last night I went to the pool.  On my schedule I had 2200 yards at slow to moderate pace.  I did 1500 at moderate to hard pace.  At the moment, it felt good.  It felt like I was cramming for the final exam and I was absorbing all that I could.  That is until I realized that I was not following instructions.  So, I stopped at 1500.

As with many of us in the sport, specially those of us who are newbies and don't quiet understand yet the importance of a proper taper, I feel like I need to be doing more.

So, for the rest of this week and next week, I will follow instructions as directed.  I will trust that what I have done is enough and I will enjoy the ride.

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. If you're going to have a coach, then you have to trust them. Way to stop at 1500 and not continue crammin.

    ReplyDelete