Sunday, July 18, 2010

It's Been A Hundred Miles

It's been a hundred miles since I bought my new bike.  The majority of those miles where logged in one ride, last week's 61 miler.  The remainder miles on random rides.

This morning I set out to do a 30 mile, easy ride.  Not sure why, but today i didn't want to venture far from the house, so rode to a nearby park and looped it several times for the majority of the miles.

I used today as an opportunity to test my familiarity with the bike.  The shifting, the aero bars, breaks, clips, etc.  Also, I wanted to know how fast I could push it.  The back side of the park lends itself to pick up some speed.

With each loop, I found myself wanting to go faster.  Because of where the Garmin had to be placed, a slight down look is necessary to see the data.  At the speeds I was approaching and because of the winding road, I did not feel to comfortable taking my eyes off the road to look at the speed, but I could tell that I had never "peddaled" that fast.

I was right.  When I downloaded the data to the computer, I saw that I had reached speeds of 28mph!  The average speed for today's ride was slightly under 17mph.

What I'm mostly enthused about is that with my previous bike, an average of 15mph was the norm.  What I'm most excited about is that after a bike ride, I still have legs left.

I'm looking forward to see what I can do at the Steelhead Ironman 70.3 Triathlon in 12 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment