Tuesday, July 27, 2010

3 Days... Say What?

It's coming down to the wire.  All the work, training, dedication and determination will come to fruition in just 3 days and a few hours.  Holy Toledo!

All the i's have been dotted, the t's have been crossed.  All that's left to do is the execution.  There are, or rather will be, many factors which are beyond my control.  Things that I can do very little or nothing about.  About these, I must not fret. My only hope and wish at this point is that these are very few and far in between.

Recently I read that race day is not about fitness.  Race day is about execution.  To succeed you must have a race day plan.  Do I have a plan?  You betcha, I do.

And my plan is very simple.  To keep things simple.  In the swim, I must stay true to my strokes.  Three right, three left.  Should I feel the need to reduce the count it would only mean that I've lost my form.  Should this happen, I must slow down.  Three right, three left.  Slow, easy, steady.

In the bike I must begin and execute my fueling and hydration plan and this will begin in transition.

For the first 20 to 30 miles, I will just ride along, at about 80% of my maximum effort. Then I will shift to easy then to steady, about 85% to 90% of my maximum effort.  The last 8 miles or so, will be dedicated to getting the feet and legs ready for the run. back to about 80% of maximum effort.  By no stretch of the imagination a walk in the park, or rather a ride in the park but steady enough to save the legs for the last 13.1.

I will jog the first 2-3 miles of the run.  Keeping a pace that'll do no harm.  After this I will pick up the pace to a comfortable run until I get somewhere around mile 8-9, where I expect things to be very uncomfortable, but I will finish strong.  And this I will do only if I execute my plan.

The training for Ironman Steelhead 70.3 has been long and has taken it's toll on family and friends.  To all that have supported me, specially my wife and daughters, I owe you big.  I love you a lot!  I hope I make you proud.

To my coach, Barry Baird of Endurance Geeks... a great big thanks!  I hope to make you proud.

To my H.E.A.T. friends and teammates... thanks for pushing, pulling, tugging, nagging, and all other ...ing's along the way.  This would not have been possible without you.  You are now part of my extended family.  As well, I hope to make you proud.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a man with an awesome plan. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your plan! See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the plan. I have always surfed and swam but recently have been training for a triathalon.

    Your outlook and regime is inspiring. Keep it up man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what supplement for fatty liver what supplement for fatty liver what supplement for fatty liver

    Feel free to surf to my site - what supplements to take for fatty liver

    ReplyDelete