Monday, January 21, 2013

About Misconceptions

Not to long ago, a friend asked me what my goal was for the weekend's run.  My reply to her was to "finish in a respectable time".  Her reply to me was:  "Ha!  Who are you kidding, you're an Ironman, you'll run fast."

I wasn't sure how to respond to that.  You see, to me to "finish in a respectable time" is always my goal.  By respectable, I simply mean "middle of the pack, a little better or a bit slower, either way would be okay."

Every since I finished Ironman Louisville 2011, I have had this kind of reaction and response from people who want to know what my "goal" is for this race or that race.

It has become apparent to me that finishing an Ironman puts you in some sort of super human category, a fast  super human at that.

That couldn't be further from the truth.  At least in my case.

I work hard, very hard at maintaining my endurance.  This is the reason why I can do things that others think impossible.  I do this because I know that "fast" I'll never be.  "Respectable" I can reach.

Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate the fact that folks think that way of me and my abilities and I wouldn't object if you continue to think of me that way, however...  I am merely setting the record straight.  At least in my case.