Thursday, May 5, 2011

About Milestones

Milestone:  An event in the future that you hope to reach 
We celebrate this sport of ours via milestones.  When a goal is reached, a date arrives, a task is completed... we celebrate.


I'm still riding high from my last one.

On my previous post, I talked about what I was about to do in Nashville and how I hoped this would be a special day in my life and that of my daughter's.

Well, I was not disappointed.

This was her first.  We did not run for time.  We ran to have fun


  
Marcela in the Blue, Dad in the White 
2:16:43 after we started we crossed the finish line.  Together.

Every step of the way was amazing.  We enjoyed the crowds, the sights, the fun.  We listened to the music, we high-fived the volunteers - mostly the kids, we saw friends as most passed us, we thanked the volunteers as they offered us water, fruit, gels, etc.

The weather at 7:06 when we started was crisp and cool.  Warranted a long sleeve shirt, but it didn't take long to warm up.  By the end of the second mile, we were wishing we could get rid of a layer.  She did, I did not.

The route was a new one.  A hilly one.  Just when you were over one, another one approached.  We didn't attack them, we just took them. One at a time.  One after the other.

Our goal was to keep a steady 10 minute pace.  We managed a 10:26.  That was just fine.

At the split point, where the full marathon goes straight and the half turns right, I told her that this was the last chance to go "big".  If looks could kill, I would be dead.  "Just messing with you", I told her.  She did not laugh.  Just wondering what I would have done had she said:  "lets do it".  Glad she didn't.


The finish line came and we were done.  Finished!  Mission Accomplished!.  The smile on her face was priceless, which brought an even bigger one to mine.


I asked her if she was to rate her experience on a scale of 1-10, what would she give it.  Without hesitation, she said "a 10".  "Would you do it again", I asked.  "In a heart beat" she answered.

This post will be the finishing touch to this magnificent milestone.  But in no way, form or fashion will I ever put this behind me.  I will remember this day for ever.  Even as I refocus my efforts on my next milestone, which is just 116 days away; Ironman Louisville is just around the bend.