Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sometimes You Just Have To Keep On Keeping On

This week started as most every other week before it.  Event-less.  But as mid-week came, one unfortunate event and things got thrown for a loop.

On Wednesday, I went out for a routine 30 mile bike ride.  Had just enough time before the sun went down to get my miles in.  Somewhere around mile 5 it happened.  My first spill of the year.  I approached an intersection and I saw that the car coming towards the intersection had not noticed me and was not about to stop.  I hit the breaks hard and did not have enough time to un-clip my left shoe, so down I went.

The whole thing happened in slow motion.  First, and only thing that came to mind was "my new bike".  I stretched my arm and landed on my hand.  Twisted the wrist, jammed the elbow and shoulder.  Scraped the knee a bit.

Immediately upon being able to un-clip and get up, I proceeded to first check my bike.  Once I saw that it was alright, I took a physical inventory of my left arm.  It was sore and the hand was bleeding a bit.  The man in the house on the corner yelled:  "Are you hurt?", I replied: "Just my pride".  We both laughed and as I saddled my bike again, I waved goodbye and off I went.

I tried for a few miles to shake the soreness off the knee but it was getting tighter.  I opted just to count my blessings and call it a day.


On Thursday, I ventured into the pool.  Wanted to get 2100 yds in.  At 1500 I was kicked off the pool because of swim classes and water aerobics.  Things were just not working out for me this week.  

Took Friday off.  Was not going to press my luck that day.

The weekend was heavily scheduled.  Three hour plus bike ride on Saturday and two hour run on Sunday (today).

The weather turned ugly and on Saturday I ended up doing 50.5 miles on the trainer.  One of the hardest things I have ever done.  Riding that long on a trainer ranks up there with running a mile on the treadmill.  But I got it done.

Today the weather was better in that it was not raining but the temperature had plummeted to the mid-30's.  Normally not that bad running weather but when you have put away (in your mind) your winter/cold weather running gear and then are forced to take it out, yeah... it was hard.  And the wind was howling.  Got 11.1 miles in.

All in all, the week turned out half way decent, considering what it could have been.  99 total, combined miles.

Week ending March 6, 2011


1 comment:

  1. Wow! You still surpassed any good week I've ever had. Sorry things didn't work out so well, we all have those weeks. I'm glad you are okay at least from the car mishap!!

    ReplyDelete