Saturday, May 16, 2009

Shifting Gears - Ironman 70.3 Augusta Here I Come

Three weeks have passed since the Country Music Marathon and my last post to this blog. I have been absent from the blogosphere for a couple of reason.

One: I have spent some time absorbing and assessing the entire experience, and two: I have taken this three weeks to fully recover; physically and mentally from the entire experience.

I came out of the marathon with a very high high. I was in pain and seriously doubting my running future. But the doubt lasted no more than a few minutes...really. Quickly I realized what I had done and knew that the pain would go away.

By Monday, two days later, as friends, family, coworkers and customers asked me about the experience I began to realize how wonderful it had been, how blessed I had been to have been given the opportunity to partake in such an event and the ability to fulfill my goal.

It wasn't long thereafter that I was making plans for future events. The memory of the physical pain was just that... a memory.

From the very beginning my goal has been to finish an Ironman 70.3 prior to my 55th birthday (hence the web address of this blog: triathlonat55.com) and I started to seriously give this idea consideration.

The Ironman 70.3 Augusta will take place on Sunday, September 27th. This is just 7 days prior to my 55th. This seemed like a great opportunity to accomplish this. I researched and downloaded several training plans and assessed my ability to fulfill this commitment, not the commitment to finish the event but the commitment it would take to properly train for the event.

On Thursday May 14th, I took the plunge and registered. From this point there are only 133 days left. I will be ready!

As usual I have received the great support of family and friends. Most that don't understand why we triathletes do this tell me how crazy they think I am, but throw their support in. All that do understand why we do this have thrown tremendous support and excitement my way. For this I am pretty appreciative.

So I guess plans for my summer have been defined!

3 comments:

  1. You are something special. Best wishes. I will be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so awesome! You'll have a large online fan club cheering you on for Augusta! Loved your thoughts about CMM -- all I can say is "Ditto!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete