Thursday, August 21, 2008

Looking Back so I can See Ahead

This has been a summer of firsts. First of all, I'm still amazed that I have been able to do what I have done so far. I have competed on my first triathlon, I have been on my bike for a combined total of almost 500 miles, I have been in the water for what seems a million laps - well, not quiet a million, but it sure feels like a million. I have run from 10 to 15 miles per week, not a lot by many's standards, but a bunch by mine.

I still have one more triathlon to compete on. The Old Hickory Lake Triathlon to be held in my hometown of Hendersonville, TN. on September 6th. Not a long one by any stretch of the imagination, but challenging in that the run portion of the event will be split in two. The first leg will be 1.5 miles out of the water and the second leg will be another 1.5 miles out of the bike. I have been on the bike course for a few rides and I think I will be alright. It's the swim that I'm concerned about being my first competition in open water. 400 yards doesn't seem like to far or to big a challenge to swim, I have been able to do without problem in the pool.

I have taken a great interest in improving my bicycle portion of the event. I have been riding most every Saturday for the past couple of months. I have been on rides anywhere from 40 miles to as high as 52 miles. This I have enjoyed the most.

On Saturday, day after tomorrow, I will participate in the H.O.T. 100 bike ride in Murfreesboro, TN. I will be riding the 66 mile course. I am excited, for I do not quiet know what to expect, I'm nervous, for I do not know quiet to expect. An aero bar has been added to my bike in an effort to make the ride a bit more comfortable. Hope it works.

With very few exceptions, I have tried to keep to a six day workout routine; two - three times in the pool, two times on the weights, two - three times run and one - two times on the bike. This, as far as I can tell, seems to be working for me. Will have to wait and see.

To finish out this year, my plans are to do the Memphis - St. Jude's Half Marathon on December 6th. After that I will decide if I will run the Half-Marathon or the Full Marathon in Nashville in April, but before that I have a date with my brother to do the Gasparilla Half Marathon in Tampa, Fl on Sunday March 1, 2009.

1 comment:

  1. So very proud of you! You sure are an inspiration!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete