Sunday, February 22, 2009

Goofy, Crazy or Just Plain Nuts?

This week I made a commitment to at least another year of running long and hard by registering for the "Goofy Challenge" to be held on January 9 & 10, 2010 at Walt Disney World in Florida.

So what exactly is the "Goofy Challenge"? It's a half marathon on Saturday followed by a full marathon on Sunday. Goofy, right?

After yesterday's murderous long run I have spent several hours pondering the reasons why I put myself through this. My family; wife and daughters are convinced that I have totally lost my mind. I'm not so sure they're not half right. My doctor has told me that he's not convinced as well of the same; although he's very happy with the results of my latest physical. Best numbers ever! Yeah Baby!

I remember attending a clinic prior to the first Country Music 1/2 Marathon that I ran. The speaker happened to be an accomplished marathoner and speaker John "The Penguin" Bingham. He asked a simple question: "Why are you doing this?"

One by one we were asked for answers. "To loose some extra pounds". "Because of my health". These were the most popular ones. But when he got to me I simply replied; "Because I lost a bet"!

Well, that wasn't quiet the truth. When I first decided to venture into the world of marathoning, a friend asked me if I had lost a bet. I thought it was funny then, I think still funny now. But no, no bet was lost.

So, why am I doing this? Why do I put myself through this sometimes physical discomfort, if not plain ol' pain? Why do spend hours upon hours on the road, on the bike and on the pool? Yes, I have lost plenty of weight and I've kept it off. I have lost plenty of cholesterol points, and I have kept them off. I have lost 4 inches off my waist, and I have kept them off. In my book these are all by-products of a choice I made some four years ago.

Bottom line is this: It's a challenge. It's a challenge I'm willing to put myself through. Many years ago I learned how good it felt to do something you never thought you could possibly do. And that feeling never left me. Running a half marathon, a full marathon, a triathlon of all things were not in my radar. These were things that only young, physical, athletic types did. Or was it?

So why then am I doing this? Why am I running a full marathon? Why the Goofy Challenge? Why Triathlons?

For the right to say "I did"!

1 comment:

  1. the right to say "I did" is all that counts. well, ok the right to say "i'm tried", "i'm going for it" counts alot too. that's what gets to you to the start line. and what could be wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete