Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bitten by "The Bug"

Have you ever been bitten by a bug? No, I don't mean by a spider or a wasp or an ant or anything creepy crawler. I mean a bug! Something that just got in you and you couldn't shake loose... not that you tried to get rid of it, but something that once in you it just grew and grew. Some may, and some have called it an obsession, I just call it a purpose.
It all started very innocently. It all started with the intention of just looking for a way to loose a few pounds, for I was what I thought was a bit overweight-198lbs at 5'10". At the very beginning it was hard, the most difficult venture I ever entered into. But fighting through the initial pain, it all got better as the days and the laps passed.
Before I knew it I was hooked! I had lost some weight and my doctor told me my overall health had improved tremendously. But never mind that... I felt Great!
Early January 2007, I wast talking with a friend, discussing my exercise routine and habits and he suggested I should enter the Music City Marathon. "What?, 26.2 miles! You have got to be kidding me!" I settled for the "Half" for 13.1 miles seemed a whole lot more manageable. I researched several sites that offered advice on a structured training program and once I found one I thought I could stick to, I went for it. Somehow, this whole process seemed a whole lot easier for me than I had ever imagined.
The rush, the adrenaline, the excitement of the event was unlike anything I had ever experienced. At this moment, I new the "Bug had bitten me". But I want more!
Now, I have set a new personal goal: "Ironman World Championship 70.3", Clearwater, Florida. on or around November 7, 2009. That's 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run.
So off I go. I have to set my plan and work my plan. 20 months will be here tomorrow!

UPDATE:  As you can see had a lot to learn back then.  I thought you could just register and show up for Clearwater!

No comments:

Post a Comment