Saturday, July 9, 2016

Long Run Executed To Perfection... Almost

Saturdays are my long run days. Have always been. Unless there's a reason not to, this is what I do.

Today's plan called for a 9 mile run; 1 mile in Z1, 7.5 miles in Z2 and .5 mile in Z1.

"Z1" "Z2" are Heart Rate Zones. These have been predetermined. They have been programmed into my Garmin and with the use of a Heart Rate monitor, they're easy to navigate.

I have always had a difficult time keeping to those zones; always want to push it past those limits. I have worked long and hard on this. I have understood that there's a method to this madness.

At this point in my training, a Z2 equates to about a 9:20 mile. Today's blessing came in that I ran with three friends, Alison, Max and Lisa.They were all looking for the same pace.


When it was all said and done, the total mileage was 9.1, the average pace was 9:22. Average heart Rate according to Garmin was 1 bpm into Z3. I think I have to work on this!

Tomorrow's plan calls for an easy recovery 6 mile run. Let's see what "easy" brings.