Wednesday, November 12, 2014

4 O'Clock Club

I have not always been a morning person. Getting up early, 7 am or earlier, was quiet the chore for me. I held jobs for years with fluctuating schedules. Sometimes I would go in at 10:00 or later. This allowed me to get really comfortable with my pillow.

But now people that know me best today, know that I love to get up early, 4:00 AM early, and go workout.

Working out before work has numerous advantages, as I have found out first hand.

* It is often the most peaceful time of the day and a great way to get some alone time.

* It preps you for the day, waking up your brain, clears the mind & helps organize your thoughts.

* Get your exercise out of they way. You don't have to worry about it the rest of the day. It gets done. Things happen throughout the day which may derail your well intended plans to exercise later.

* It boosts your metabolism & gets your digestion moving the for the rest of the day,

* Much easier to go out and exercise on an empty stomach, which in itself has tremendous benefits, the biggest of which is you have the potential to burn more fat. Your muscles don't have much sugar to draw from so you are more likely to tap into your stored energy, which means releasing and burning surplus excess fat. **This should only be attempted after you have consulted with experts and discussing your personal goals**

* It interferes less with family time!

* A lot easier to build and maintain exercise consistency.

* If you accomplish absolutely nothing else during the day, you still feel accomplished

* You feel less stressed and are ready to tackle whatever the day throws at you.

* Bragging rights.

It is true that it requires a high level of discipline to do this and create a habit. Your mind will fight it every step of the way the first few times you attempt to get out of bed at 4 o'clock in the morning, but as days pass and you continue to fight the impulse to turn over and sleep longer, this gets easier. With consistency, you will regulate your body's circadian (biological clock) rhythms (yeah, I had to look this up). Your body will learn to do just about the same thing every day and it begins preparing itself for waking and exercising a few hours before you actually open your eyes.

So go ahead, give it a go! Come join me for a gym workout, or a run!
________________________________________________________

I invite you to come on over and "like" my page "Mauricio's Journey Beyond Ironman". Click here to go there.

Also invited you are to join the Tri Talk. Click here to do so.