Sunday, May 13, 2012

About That Time

In just seven short days, Ironman 70.3 Florida will take place. My wave is set to start at 6:40am.  Yes, once again, us older guys go immediately following the pros and right behind us, the 18-24 year old males.  My bib number is "200".  Luck number!  For me, this will be the first of three A-races this summer, all three 70.3 distances.  All three Ironman events.


Training for this race has been different to say the least.  Different in that it hasn't compared to last year's regime for the Ironman.  Nonetheless, I followed my coach's instructions (for the most part) and put in the required numbers of yards and miles... for the most part.

For the most part, I say, because there's only so much you can do with a damaged plantar fascia.  It requires a lot of rest and while resting, obviously you can't run.

Right about this time, I always begin to question my training.  No matter how much I've done, no matter how little I've done, no matter the event, no matter the race. It has become a "tradition" with me, if you will, to always question my readiness.  If everything falls into place, I should be able to put this behind me in a day or two.  Luckily this time around, I've had a couple of tremendous training sessions in the past few days, so this has helped.

One big difference is that up until the Ironman, the swim always made me loose sleep.  I would put in the laps, the yards, the time, but I would still loose sleep over it.

After spending 1:51:54 in the Ohio River last August, I came out of the water with a whole new perspective.  I do believe I left all my fears in that river.  Don't get me wrong, I still respect the swim, but it's not dominating my every thought.  For this, I am grateful.

Yesterday I had one of my best bike rides ever.  I managed to average speeds above 17 mph with a good amount of elevation.  I've never been able to do this.  Winter gym work and off season trainer sessions are to thank for this.  Now, I wait and see how this translates to the race course.  But confident is what I am.

This week will be an easy, relaxing, tapering week.  I will do the required short and easy workouts.  I will travel to Florida on Thursday with the family and upon arrival to the race site on Friday, I will begin to put my race face on.

So what's in store for me on Sunday?  No one knows.  What I do know is that, as in the past, I will not worry about things I have no control over.  I will concentrate on the task at hand.  I will race my race.  I will do my best, because "If It Is To Be, It's Up To Me"