Wednesday, March 11, 2009

So, Why Am I Sore?

It was my understanding that the more you exercised the less you would hurt. Right? Your muscles are sore because they haven't been used and the new stress on them makes them sore. So, Why am I sore?

I have been running regularly, consistently and religiously for almost four years now. Only took a three month break two years ago after the removal of two tumors from my left ankle. I have been swimming and biking for almost two years. But I'm still sore.

I'm not complaining, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just asking: Why am I sore?

Being sore tells me that I'm using new muscles. But how many new muscles can I use over and over again?

Soreness tells me I'm doing something wrong. I just wish I could figure it out.

2 comments:

  1. Great question. I have no answers. I am consistently both sore and tired. i don't get it either. share if you find out pls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you're burning more and not replacing enough nutrients to your body? I don't know, I'm not an expert by any means. But I have found that eating something with protein and something with potassium after a workout helps with the soreness. Of course, last night I had a banana and peanutbutter and I'm still sore...so you probably shouldn't listen to me. LOL

    By the way, I really like your tri image thingy at the top of your blog. Thinking about stealing it for my own...j/k. But it IS cool!

    ReplyDelete